Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, November 2, 2009

10 Shopping Tips: Get More for Less


credit:photos 8.com
When it comes to shopping sometimes the $20 sandals flatter you more than the $400 designer sandals. Style is not in the price, but in your approach.


You can get more for less if you are savvy about your shopping. Fashionable finds are possible for under $25. How do you do it? Here are 10 Tips to think about when you’re out on a shopping expedition:
    1. You Can Find Deals in Unexpected Places.
    I got a purse for a steal at a Nine West shoe store in New Jersey. Not a shop I would normally think of to buy a purse. But I spotted it in the front window and fell in love. (Although maybe not as deeply as with my husband.) When I went into the store to ask a sales clerk about it, I thought this gorgeous tan satchel would be expensive. It looks like something that would be appropriate in Grace Kelly’s or Audrey Hepburn’s wardrobe closet. But now it’s in my closet.
    2. Set Your Budget and Stick with It.
    Yes, you've probably heard this before. However, forced to work within a box, you will come up with creative ideas. One year for Christmas, I set a working budget of $25 each for my nieces and nephew. Instead of getting them each one gift, I got them a number of small funky gifts and they each had 3 presents to open. It made opening gifts more exciting for them.
    3. Read fashion magazines to get an idea of the trends.
    Many clothing companies with budget-happy fashion lines will replicate the “look” or “feel” of pricey designer fashion. I read everything from New York magazine and the NY Times Fashion to Vogue, Elle and fashion catalogs to see what’s happening out in the fashion world. Go to your nearest public library and those fashion mags are FREE! If you learn what is cutting edge then believe me you will find cheaper versions of the trends. Or you will learn how to put an outfit together in your own expressive way.
    4. You can find reasonably priced gifts at even the most expensive stores.
    For example when I go online to Saks Fifth Avenue I can look under the gift category “Under $50.” Today for "$25 and under" I find: a Kate Spade notecard set, a hip style book on Dolce and Gabbana and Fresh waterlily soap---all would make lovely gifts. The price is so reasonable for the soap you could even include a little something else so that the recipient has another gift to open--always more fun. Go to a pricey chocolate shop. Then buy the smallest, but always tasteful box, sometimes under $15. Put it in a nice gift bag with the heavenly scented waterlily soap. Your gift card can read: "You deserve a little elegance in your life." What friend wouldn’t be flattered.
    5. Be open to new opportunities.
    When I travel to new cities I like to explore new shops. I usually end up in the artsy section of town. To me that means galleries, museums, maybe a university--and fun shopping. I collect business cards of the stores I love and make notes or take pictures of what they have so I can call them and order from them later. If a town has a college or university it has plenty of stores with low prices to satisfy the students. And me too. 
    6. Know your own style.
    Allow your self the luxury of an expensive item that you just can’t pass on. Especially if it defines “YOU.” Find deals for other purchases. I coveted a $99 sweater from J.Crew, but then I bought a purse for only $20 for a wedding. You can justify the expensive purchase. The sweater will last for years, amortizing into less money. If I wear the sweater often, cost-wise it pays for itself, while the wedding purse I might only use that one time.
    7. Accessories are inexpensive ways to refashion the look of your outfit.
    An $8.00 leopard print scarf I bought at H&M compliments my chartreuse cardigan, jeans and black boots. It’s a dressy-casual look that suits my style. And the scarf goes just as well with a knit purple dress and heels. A few strategically picked accessories means less outfits to buy.
    8. Consider buying your purchases in the months they are traditionally on sale.
    If you’re not in a rush to buy new towels then why not wait until January or August. Or if you thinking of painting your bedroom Robin Egg blue, that paint will be cheaper in April.
    9. Sign up for email blasts from your favorite stores.
    Stores will alert you to their sales and often give email subscribers exclusive discounts. You will learn about sales before the average customer. Then instead of spending a fortune on the skirt you admired earlier in the season you can scoop it up at a bargain.
    10. Shop from your home and comparison shop online.
    Yea, why not. Shop in your pjs, my favorite way to shop.
    What do you think? Do you have some shopping tips? I'd love to hear from you.
    In the upcoming months look for more blog posts on "Annie Goes Shopping"  to "Get More for Less" when you go shopping!
    Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chronicle

Art + Photo 30% Button

BlogFlux

Fashion blogs

BlogCatalog

Shopping Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Blog Top Sites

Resources Blogs